Wild Whatcom is an outdoor education non-profit organization based in Bellingham, Washington, serving people of all ages throughout Whatcom County, with a focus on school-aged youth. Programs are offered year round, including school day and after school programs, weekend outings, summer camps, Ladies Night out, Community Field Trips, and much more! Visit our website to learn more about all of our program offerings: www.wildwhatcom.org
Wild Whatcom seeks enthusiastic outdoor and environmental educators to work as Field Mentors across various programs. Mentors co-lead outings which include nature exploration, skills lessons covering a range of topics from plant identification to fire by friction, and service projects in parks and outdoor spaces in Whatcom County. Mentors are also responsible for communication with participant families, lesson preparation, and related clerical duties. Wild Whatcom is currently seeking 4-6 part time or salaried Mentor positions starting in the fall of 2022.
Wild Whatcom offers both part-time hourly and salaried positions for this role. Part-time hourly roles are generally 10-25 hours per week with unpaid time off during school breaks (winter and spring break), with accrued paid sick time off. Salaried positions are 30+ hours per week on average with seasonal variability. In addition to accrued paid time off, salaried positions also received paid holidays. Almost all positions include work on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and 2-3 weekdays. See below for sample schedules. Note: Specific weekdays may differ. Occasionally mentors work overnights, typically in the spring. For details about our programs, please visit www.wildwhatcom.org
This position is a 41-week contract position beginning Aug 29, 2022 through June 10, 2023. Staff working school year contracts will also be offered summer contracts for our summer camps and other summer programs. This position’s base hourly range is $16.50-18.00; actual salary and hours will reflect level of experience and qualifications relative to position requirements.
Wild Whatcom does not currently offer traditional health care benefits (though we are working toward that). However, there are a variety of other benefits offered to staff, such as paid professional development opportunities/training, subsidized wilderness medicine certifications, gear stipends, and annual Discover passes.
SAMPLE Schedule for Part-time hourly staff:
- Saturday and Sunday Explorers Club program (9:30am to 3:30pm) OR
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday morning preschool with Wednesday morning meetings
SAMPLE Schedule for Salaried staff:
- Saturday and Sunday Explorers Club program (9:30am to 3:30pm) AND
- Weekday Mornings: Monday, Tuesday, school field trip or preschool, Wednesday morning meetings, Weekday Afternoons: Office work and/or after-school programming Mon, Tues, Wed
- Thurs & Friday off
- Co-lead a variety of outings with child-led, inquiry-based, experiential, and playful approaches. Participate in all required training with enthusiasm and engagement
- Awaken a sense of wonder teaching natural history and outdoor skills while exploring local areas
- Facilitate collaborative leadership and decision-making to augment developing life skills
- Practice effective risk management at all times, creating a safe learning experience for all
- Maintain clear, responsive, honest, and respectful communications with participants and staff
- Serve as a mentor to participants appropriate to their needs as individuals and as a group
- Work closely with other members of the field staff team to plan, prepare, and lead outings
- Assist with gear maintenance, storage, and coordination
- Assist with program logistics
- Support and contribute to documentation/record-keeping
- Share concerns and successes and seeks advice from Program Coordinators or Managers, Program Director, and Executive Director to ensure program quality
The below-mentioned list includes some of the preferred qualifications that we think will set an individual up for success in this role. If you have a combination of some of them, have similar experience, or believe you may fulfill this role well, please reach out!
- Passion for facilitating meaningful connections to nature and community, ideally with a basic knowledge of ecology and/or outdoor skills.
- Personal or professional experience recreating in wilderness environments.
- Preschool staff will be required to have experience working with young children (ages 2-6).
- Strong work ethic and professional work habits (punctual, responsive, organized, detailed).
- Experience working with children, specifically with behavior and risk management outdoors.
- Flexibility and vision to engage with and support a growing organization.
- Valid driver’s license and excellent driving record (background check is required).
- Ability to carry 20+ lbs in a variety of weather and terrain.
- Current CPR certification (or willingness to receive certification before working in the field, partially subsidized by Wild Whatcom).
- Current Wilderness First Aid (or higher) certification (or willingness to receive certification before working in the field, partially subsidized by Wild Whatcom).
- Experience with or willingness to learn Google Suite applications such as google drive, gmail, and google calendar
- Strong communication skills and a desire to engage in dialogue with both participants and families
Priority application deadline is July 18. Position to remain open until filled.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for two references addressed to “Wild Whatcom Hiring Team” at email@example.com with your name and “Mentor Application, School Year” in the subject line. Please also indicate if you are interested in a salaried, part time position, or either. All materials should be sent as attachments in PDF (.pdf) format. Direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before actual hire, prospective employees must pass a thorough background check. If any concerns arise, we will review them with the candidate and evaluate potential implications within a broader context and relevance to the position.
We require all staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, boosters strongly recommended when eligible.
Wild Whatcom is actively committed to social equity and justice and encourages candidates of all racial and gender identities, cultural, ethnic, and economic backgrounds, and of any sexual orientation to apply. Wild Whatcom is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, or marital status in employment or the provision of services.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com