Wild Whatcom is an outdoor education non-profit organization based in Bellingham, Washington, serving people of all ages throughout Whatcom County, with a focus on school-aged youth. Programs are offered year round, including school day and after school programs, weekend outings, summer camps, Ladies Night out, Community Field Trips, and much more! Visit our website to learn more about all of our program offerings: www.wildwhatcom.org
Wild Whatcom seeks a Nature Preschool Coordinator to work in the field as a lead instructor and support the Program Director in the management of the nature preschool program, including, but not limited to, preparation, staff training, in-field support and oversight, and program feedback and development.
This position is salaried at 35 hours per week for a 41-week contract from August 29, 2022 – June 10, 2023. The base hourly range for this position is $18-19.25; actual salary will reflect level of experience and qualifications relative to position requirements. About half time is spent in the field as an instructor and support staff with the remaining half spent on coordination tasks. In addition to accrued paid time off, salaried positions also received paid holidays. Staff working school year contracts will also be offered summer contracts for our summer camps and other summer programs.
Wild Whatcom does not currently offer traditional health care benefits (though we are working toward that). However, there are a variety of other benefits offered to staff, such as paid professional development opportunities, subsidized wilderness medicine certifications, gear stipends, and annual Discover passes.
- Staff the nature preschool program as a lead instructor on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday mornings from 8:30-1:30pm (program from 9:00am-1:00pm); participate in all-staff meetings, trainings, and planning time on Wednesdays.
- Collaborate with the Program Director to create program schedules and adjust program schedules to reflect staffing needs (completed for this year)
- Develop nature preschool curriculum in conjunction with Program Director
- Oversee distribution of family emails and communication about logistics. Work in conjunction with Program Director for more nuanced communication regarding behavior, parent feedback, etc.
- Oversee logistical support of the program (e.g. bus logistics, purchasing and stocking gear bins, managing google calendar, managing gear requests from families, etc.)
- Participate in organizational team meetings as needed to communicate program successes and learnings; work with other program managers and coordinators to ensure consistency for field staff
- Coordinate with Registrar and Program Director to ensure necessary field documents (Health Forms, FARE Forms, Service Contracts, Risk Management Manual, Rosters, etc.) are up to date and provided to mentors
- Support with in-field surveys of participants and distribute surveys to parents to gather feedback; Develop reports that analyze participant feedback and field staff reflections for the Program Director to utilize in any future planning and to be included in the annual impact report
- Fill staffing gaps in the field and provide organizational support for staff in the field as needed (e.g. drop-off support, parent communication, etc.).
- Support the annual registration process (review web copy, individual participant requests,
and marketing copy) supported by the Program Director and Outreach and Development Manager (completed for this year)
- Collaborate with Program Director to create and facilitate staff training
The below-mentioned list includes some of the preferred qualifications that we think will set an individual up for success in this role. If you have a combination of some of them, have similar experience, or believe you may fulfill this role well, please reach out!
- 2+ years experience in a leadership role, preferably within the environmental/outdoor education field.
- At least 3 years of experience teaching young children (ages 2-6)
- Experience expanding equity and inclusion to ensure broader program access to diverse populations.
- A motivated self-starter with energy, flexibility, creativity, a sense of humor, and a willingness to pitch in wherever needed.
- Ability to prioritize effectively and handle multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously.
- Experience communicating with families, teachers and community members via email, in person or over the phone
- Experience coordinating program schedules for multiple staff members
- Superior interpersonal and written communications skills.
- Professional work habits (punctual, responsive, organized, attention to detail).
- Competency with Google systems, Microsoft Office Suite, and social media or a willingness to learn.
Priority application deadline is July 18. Position to remain open until filled.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for two references addressed to “Wild Whatcom Hiring Team” at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and “Preschool Coordinator” in the subject line. All materials should be sent as attachments in PDF (.pdf) format. Direct any questions to email@example.com.
Before actual hire, prospective employees must pass a thorough background check. If any concerns arise, we will review them with the candidate and evaluate potential implications within a broader context and relevance to the position.
We require all staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, boosters strongly recommended when eligible.
Wild Whatcom is actively committed to social equity and justice and encourages candidates of all racial and gender identities, cultural, ethnic, and economic backgrounds, and of any sexual orientation to apply. Wild Whatcom is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, or marital status in employment or the provision of services.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org