Website The Alaska Center
Our Home, Our Future
Title: Development Director
Reports to: Co-Executive Director
Positions Reporting to this Position: Development Associate
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Salary: $72,000- $77,000
Location: Dena’ina Lands; Anchorage, Alaska
The Alaska Center envisions a thriving, just and sustainable Alaska for future generations. We engage, empower, and elect Alaskans to stand up for clean air and water, healthy communities and a strong democracy. In partnership with our sister organization, The Alaska Center Education Fund, we achieve our vision through youth engagement and leadership development, community organizing and mobilization, and supporting leaders who champion our values.
The Development Director will develop and execute a comprehensive fundraising strategy including major gifts from individuals, corporations and foundations, special events, prospect research, stewardship, donor communications and planned giving. The Development Director supervises the Development Associate and supports the fundraising of the co-Executive Directors and the Board of Directors. The right candidate will be passionate about our mission and vision and understand the critical importance of engaging others to sustain our work.
This is a full-time position located in Anchorage, AK. We are currently working a remote/in-person hybrid schedule with a minimum of two days in the office.
- Create and execute annual Development Plan for a suite of three organizations (The Alaska Center, a 501(c)(4), The Alaska Center Education Fund, a 501(c)(3), and The Alaska Center PAC)
- Annual projected table of gifts
- Case for supporting the organization
- Metrics for analyzing fundraising activities
- Role of the Executive Director, board, staff and volunteers
- Calendars for annual giving, special events, and stewardship
- Develop and execute Individual Giving Program
- Support and staff co-Executive Directors’ major donor fundraising, incorporating moves management, including cultivation of existing and prospective donors
- Manage a personal portfolio of 25-50 leadership level donors
- Support Development Associate with grassroots fundraising plan including direct mail and online fundraising campaigns
- Steward existing donors through annual stewardship plan; collaborate with communications team on newsletters and with program staff on stewardship events
- Cultivate prospects through strategic donor research and a robust communications plan
- Lead execution of the annual spring auction; gala event with live and silent auction
- Manage staff, volunteers, consultants and vendors
- Manage budget and fundraising plan; Execute sponsorship solicitation and live auction
- Supervise silent auction (managed by Development Associate)
- Develop and edit written fundraising content
- Oversee grants and foundations fundraising
- Track all application and reporting deadlines
- Prepare reports and proposals, working with co-Executive Directors and staff
- Support research and prospecting
- Develop and implement a planned giving program
- Ensure that fundraising practices reflect the organizations’ values of equity and justice
Operations and Finance
- Develop and manage annual Development Department budget
- Forecast individual and corporate revenue during annual budget process
- Supervise Development Associate and Office Administrator to ensure donations and donors are accurately recorded in CRM system.
- Train, supervise and mentor Development Associate; conduct weekly check-ins and bi-annual performance evaluation
- Recruit and train volunteer leaders; especially for annual spring auction
- Support organizational strategic planning and annual work plan development
- Contribute to ongoing and growing leadership and management development of the AKC/EF staff, building towards a cohesive, inclusive and equitable culture as part of the Management Team
Board of Directors Support
- Meet with individual board members to set annual fundraising goals
- Attend board of directors monthly meeting to report on fundraising trends and activities and build relationship with board members
- Work in partnership with Board Development Committee Chair(s) to orchestrate committee and board activities and follow through; serve as staff liaison to committee
Qualifications: We seek a candidate who is passionate about the vision and missions of AKC/EF and shares our organizational values. In addition, the right candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Articulated belief in the mission of the organization
- Experience and proven track record fundraising in the non-profit or political sector
- Commitment to understand race, class, gender, and other equity issues
- Desire to implement equitable and inclusive fundraising practices
- Understanding of or comfort learning database systems (TargetSmartVAN and GreaterGiving)
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to generate compelling and engaging fundraising materials efficiently
- Experience raising funds for a 501(c)(4) organization
- Experience liaising with a Board of Directors
- Experience and skill coordinating small and large-scale events
- Previous supervisory experience
- Familiarity with donor prospect research tools
Salary, benefits, inclusion: Salary within range is dependent on experience, with a generous and competitive benefits package. All of The Alaska Center staff have access to professional development opportunities. The Alaska Center is an equal opportunity employer. Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
To Apply: Please complete the form linked here:
including submitting all requested materials. Please address how your qualifications match the job description and why you want to work for our organization in your cover letter. We encourage you to apply even if you do not meet every qualification listed. Applications accepted until the position is filled. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
We are committed to supporting, centering, and working with Black, Indigenous, and People of Color, Working-Class and Low-Income people, Women, LGBTQIA2+ people, and Disabled people in addressing the many crises that impact us. We strongly encourage people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities to apply.
To apply for this job please visit alaskacenter.bamboohr.com.