SalmonState, a seven-year-old initiative housed at the New Venture Fund, works to protect habitat and promote policies that will guarantee Alaska remains the SalmonState; the home of the world’s largest, healthiest and most abundant wild salmon resource, providing culture, food, income, employment and recreation to Alaskans, Americans and the rest of the world.
“…salmon is a magnificent animal that holds its own to anything on the Serengeti – beautiful in its many phases; thrilling in its athleticism; moving on its strength, determination and courage; poetic in its heroic and tragic life story – and it would be sad if it disappeared. All of that is true but a more important point is that if salmon does not survive, there is little hope for the survival of the planet.”
Mark Kurlansky: “Salmon, A Fish, the Earth, and the History of their Common Fate”
SalmonState’s reason for being is to motivate Alaskans to conservation action via the core value of salmon. We combine cutting edge data analytics with a team of highly experienced organizers possessing a wealth of professional experience and deep personal ties to Alaska as well as a team of communications experts committed to telling the stories illustrating how and why Alaska is the SalmonState. We are looking for a hard-working, experienced self-starter to join our highly skilled and passionate team.
The Communications Associate will report directly to the SalmonState Communications Director, who has primary oversight of all SalmonState external communications. Additionally, this position will work with other SalmonState staff to support work throughout Alaska as needed.
This is an overtime-exempt / full-time position.
Location: Juneau or Anchorage preferred but will consider all Alaska-based applicants.
- Help develop strategies and complete digital and creative projects;
- Increase the online reach and impact of SBB’s brand across multiple platforms in support of our strategic goals;
- Develop strategies for our digital assets to reach and influence target audiences, while meeting the needs of our teams and our partners;
- Develop engaging online social spaces that expand awareness, reach, and the effectiveness of SalmonState’s varied communications efforts;
- Coach and support staff (and partners) in their roles as online ambassadors;
- Make recommendations with regard to system changes (architecture, content and design) as online technologies evolve;
- Work with vendors, consultants and team members to ensure the integrity and evolution of our online platforms;
- Manage our social media presence across multiple platforms including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, among others;
- Co-manage and monitor integrated email marketing campaigns (with Campaign Managers);
- Manage digital communications projects and products (social media, website, content), sharing programmatic duties, responsibilities and goals with the existing communications team;
- Develop and manage an online content calendar in coordination with program and communications staff;
- Assess the effectiveness of online efforts on an ongoing basis and create analytical reports for the organization;
- Keep projects on track, adjusting strategy and tactics when necessary;
- Ensure appropriate organizational alignment between internal and external messaging and communications processes;
- Undertake special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations or a related field; or
- Three years of work experience in a communications-related field or doing the sort of digital communications work described above. Experience within the nonprofit sector is ideal;
- Exceptional written and oral communication and presentation skills;
- A keen understanding of messaging, audience(s), messengers, tone, voice, and other key elements of effective communications;
- An ability to communicate clearly and without use of jargon, and to distill seemingly complicated concepts so that they are easy to understand;
- Ability to create compelling visuals, both still and video;
- A familiarity with Alaska;
- A passion for SalmonState missions and campaigns;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively implement and manage diverse communications strategies and activities;
- Strong creative thinking abilities and a willingness to learn required;
- Excellent organizational and project management skills with a high attention to detail;
- Ability to build collaborative working relationships with the core SBB and SS team and develop strong professional relationships and networks externally;
- Interview and relationship-building abilities for storytelling purposes (SalmonState “Salmon People” storytelling series);
- Experience managing organizational websites and social media accounts required;
- Proficiency building community & following on social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram; potentially others as well.);
- Experience effectively developing and leading digital and social media ad campaigns;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office / Google Workspace, Facebook Business Suite, Creative Studio, Adobe Creative Suite, SquareSpace, Canva, Google Analytics and others are required;
- Ability to shoot video with iPhone and more professional camera setup (or ability to learn);
- Video editing skills;
- Design skills, preferably with Adobe InDesign. More important than the software used, however, is an understanding of layout, flow, use of white space, and how to craft compelling visuals;
- Proficiency developing compelling email copy and creating blog posts required;
- Web design abilities required;
- An interest in learning and trying new things, and adapting to what works best in a constantly changing world ruled by algorithms;
- A keen sense of design and attractive visuals; ability to design visually enticing infographics, pamphlets, memes, etc.;
- Understanding of digital data; ability to issue regular reports clarifying what is or is not working on various platforms; ability to do A/B messaging tests; ability to conduct a digital “audit” of social and web presence in order to clarify paths toward improving digital and web presence;
- Understanding of and ability to effectively use SEO.
- Ability to be a self-starter
- Creativity and problem-solving skills
- Enthusiasm and passion for salmon and other conservation causes
- Ability to work independently and also as part of a team
- Ability to be flexible and adaptive
- Strong project management skills
- Experience working with diverse people of diverse backgrounds
- Enthusiasm for learning
- A sense of humor
Comprehensive benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance; 3% automatic contribution and a 3% employer match on 401(k) contributions; pre-tax transportation benefits; and paid holiday, vacation, sick, and volunteer time off.”
Please submit a cover letter, resume, three writing samples (preferably a blend of narrative/longer form, social media copy, and another relevant writing form of your choice), and two to four examples of visual products you have designed or otherwise created (still image, video, infographic, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of: Communications Associate by COB on June 15.
To learn more, visit SalmonState and Salmon Beyond Borders.
SalmonState is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
To center the safety and well-being of its employees, New Venture Fund requires that any employee who is required to conduct in-person activities for their job must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 within four weeks of their start date. This position may require candidates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations may be sought and approved in accordance with the law by contacting human resources at HR@newventurefund.org.
To apply for this job please visit salmonstate.org.