Protecting air, water and public land for all of us.
ICL is seeking an accounting professional to join our business office. This position requires a flexible and motivated individual who has an understanding of and love for double-entry nonprofit accounting, and wants to be a part of the admin team supporting a conservation nonprofit with a broad array of program goals. Specific areas of responsibility include accounts payable, payroll, preparing functional expense allocations and journal entries, completing bank and balance sheet reconciliations and related accounting, fixed assets management and annual audit preparation. Position will be based in Boise, Idaho, but may work a hybrid schedule, and for the right candidate, may be remote. ICL will also consider a 1099 contract relationship, rather than an employee.
Classification: Full-time exempt (may consider part-time)
Supervisor: Director of Finance & Administration (DFA)
Salary/ Benefits: Starts at 49K, paid health insurance, Simple IRA with match, PTO, more
Opportunity for Impact: Founded in 1973, ICL is the state’s oldest and largest statewide advocacy organization, with more than 10,000 members and advocates from across Idaho and the region. You will be a critical member of the business office, ensuring accurate financials are available to support the work of a passionate, dedicated staff of 30 working to tackle climate change and protect air and water quality, protect public lands, restore Idaho’s rivers, and protect our native fish and wildlife, for all who live in Idaho. The work you do will directly support ICL’s programs, enabling staff to continue our policy and grassroots advocacy work in the tradition of ICL, seeking to build a conservation community in Idaho, and achieve pragmatic, enduring solutions. Your work will ensure that donors, the board, staff and members continue to trust that ICL operates in a fiscally responsible manner, attentive to details and aligned with best practices for nonprofit accounting.
- Perform and assist DFA in the management of bi-weekly payroll and employee benefits
- Assist in preparing and reporting payroll, using a third-party provider (Paychex)
- Complete accounting and reporting requirements related to payroll submissions, paid time off, health insurance, disability, workman’s comp, retirement accounts and health savings accounts
- Prepare and file timely and accurate payroll related agency reports and returns, including state unemployment and federal labor reporting.
- Prepare and submit 1099s and 1096 reports.
- Lead in preparing journal entries and adjusting journal entries
- Managing functional expense allocations
- Working with the DFA and the Grants Manager, assist with tracking temporarily restricted fund
- prepare adjusting entries as needed, for review and approval by DFA
maintain fixed asset records and tracking
- Accurately and efficiently, manage accounts payable, including all bill entry and vendor details, including w-9 tracking
- Complete all monthly reconciliations
- 4 bank, 3 brokerage and 1 credit card account
- all balance sheet accounts, including payroll related accounts
- In conjunction with DFA and outside auditors, manage annual fiscal year audit process, and support preparation of 990 tax form
- Work with DFA to ensure that ICL maintains needed nonprofit records and filings
- Continuously assess accounting procedures and internal controls environment for areas of improvement
- Operate as a primary or secondary contact person (as appropriate) for agents, contractors and vendors, including the payroll provider, benefit providers and insurance carriers
- Coordinate elements of ICL’s human resources needs
- Assist DFA with benefit enrollment period and act as a secondary liaison between employees and employee benefit providers
- Ensure timely and accurate implementation and updating of employee benefits and compensation, health insurance, retirement, and related programs, including updating employee payroll withholding
The ideal candidate will have/ be:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, OR combination of accounting coursework and relevant professional experience leading to demonstrated competence in double entry accrual accounting
- Experience with QuickBooks Online
- A strong understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Experience with / understanding of non-profit accounting, including restricted funds, endowments, audits and related
- Experience with office software, such as Word and Excel, or their equivalents
- Excellent time management skills, able to manage multiple projects, and understand how to prioritize in order to meet deadlines while supporting organizational needs
- An understanding of / ability to learn the mission and programmatic goals of ICL and how they are incorporated in ICL’s accounting structure, to ensure that accounting entry is optimized so that management reporting is useful for program staff as well as executive leadership
- Able to carry out assigned work independently or with minimal supervision
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
Application Process: Send a cover letter and resume to ICLjobs@idahoconservation.org with Accounting Associate in the subject line. Application review begins September 2, 2022, and will continue on a rolling basis until position is filled. Start date is ASAP.
The Idaho Conservation League’s programs and employment are open to all. ICL does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, race, national origin, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or ability. Learn more about ICL at www.idahoconservation.org.
Founded in 1973, the Idaho Conservation League is Idaho’s oldest and largest state-based, non-profit conservation organization. We are a membership organization with members and supporters across Idaho; a Board of Directors with statewide geographic representation; offices in Boise, Ketchum, McCall and Sandpoint; employing 29 staff. ICL’s mission is to create a conservation community and pragmatic, enduring solutions that protect and restore the air you breathe, the water you drink, and the land and wildlife you love. Our vision is an Idaho where public lands remain public and are well managed, air is clean, lakes and rivers are healthy, fish and wildlife thrive, and a prosperous, sustainable future exists for all Idahoans. ICL is committed to doing conservation work in an equitable and just way. Clean water, clean air, public lands, and abundant fish and wildlife should be accessible to everyone. ICL is committed to a long-term goal of broadening our work to better serve the diversity of people our work connects to, particularly those populations with traditionally underrepresented voices or marginalized communities.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org