Website Idaho Conservation League
Conservation Program Director
Classification: Full-time exempt
Location: Boise, Idaho
Supervisor: Executive Director
Job Summary: The Conservation Program Director is a member of Idaho Conservation League’s (ICL) senior leadership team and is responsible for developing and implementing strategies to achieve ICL’s conservation goals, supervising conservation staff and undertaking senior level conservation work.
Opportunity for Impact: This position will lead ICL’s Conservation Program work, successfully coordinating ICL’s program staff to implement strategies to achieve conservation goals and undertake advocacy. This position has the opportunity to help protect and restore all aspects of Idaho’s environment – clean air, clean water, healthy public lands, and abundant fish and wildlife – by working across all of ICL’s campaigns and programs. This includes ICL’s Climate, Public Lands, Snake River, and Salmon & Steelhead Campaigns as well as ICL’s Wildlife and North Idaho Lakes Programs. ICL is committed to doing conservation work in an equitable, just, and inclusive way. This position is an opportunity to join an organization with 50 years of success as Idaho’s leading voice for conservation, and be a strategic leader in building an Idaho where public lands remain public, air is clean, lakes and rivers are healthy, fish and wildlife thrive, and a prosperous future exists for all Idahoans.
- Administrative (70%)
- Manage 4-7 direct reports (the entire program team of direct and indirect reports tends to span between 10-12).
- Work with staff and leadership to develop the organization’s conservation priorities and goals.
- Help to translate the organization’s conservation goals into strategies and actions.
- Supervise conservation staff and ensure they have the support and resources necessary to achieve ICL’s conservation goals. This involves directly supervising staff and also supporting ICL’s internal conservation work structure.
- Ensure that the work of ICL’s conservation staff is internally and externally coordinated.
- Coordinate with ICL’s External Relations Team to implement engagement, communications, and marketing strategies that support the attainment of ICL’s strategic goals.
- Program (20%)
- Carry out senior level conservation work.
- Coordinate ICL’s litigation with external partners.
- Primary liaison for the Board of Directors’ Conservation Committee, including coordinating and hosting monthly meetings and assembling monthly and quarterly updates.
- Development (5%)
- Represent ICL to diverse audiences.
- Support ICL’s administration and development staff as needed.
- Assist with grant applications and reports, and participate in major donor meetings
- Other Tasks (5%)
- Participate in ICL meetings, retreats, etc. as needed and complete all required paperwork (timesheets, work plans, etc).
- Professional Development trainings
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Proven leadership skills.
- Significant experience working for conservation oriented not-for-profit organizations, including managing projects and programs, and supervising staff.
- Substantial experience working on climate change, water quality, public lands or wildlife issues.
- Demonstrated experience in conservation advocacy, developing and implementing conservation strategies, crafting written planning documents, and using methods to monitor progress and adherence to timelines and achievement of goals.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop and maintain relationships at all levels within communities, government agencies, businesses and the not-for-profit sector, and the ability to work both as a team player and independently.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through continuous development, modeling inclusive behaviors, and proactively managing bias.
Compensation & Benefits:
This position is full-time and located in Boise, Idaho. Idaho Conservation League offers a comprehensive wage and benefits package, generous benefits—paid health, dental, and vision insurance, and a Simple IRA with a 3% match. Salary for this position is $80,000+, depending on experience.
The Idaho Conservation League’s programs and employment are open to all. ICL does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, race, national origin, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or ability. Idaho Conservation League is an equal opportunity employer and complies with federal and Idaho employment laws.
Submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include the position title, CONSERVATION PROGRAM DIRECTOR, in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and we will be reviewing applications every 2 weeks. The first review period will be the week of October 30, 2023.
Founded in 1973, the Idaho Conservation League has grown into Idaho’s oldest and largest state-based, non-profit natural resource conservation organization. We are a membership organization with members and supporters in every county in Idaho; a Board of Directors with statewide geographic representation; and four offices – Boise, McCall, Ketchum and Sandpoint – employing 30 staff. ICL’s mission is to create a conservation community and pragmatic, enduring solutions that protect and restore the air you breathe, the water you drink, and the land and wildlife you love. Our vision is an Idaho where public lands remain public and are well managed, air is clean, lakes and rivers are healthy, fish and wildlife thrive, and a prosperous, sustainable future exists for all Idahoans. ICL is committed to doing conservation work in an equitable and just way. Clean water, clean air, public lands, and abundant fish and wildlife should be accessible to everyone. ICL is committed to a long-term goal of broadening our work to better serve the diversity of people our work connects to, particularly those populations with traditionally underrepresented voices or marginalized communities.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org