We are excited to be growing our team at Georgia Strait Alliance at a time of positive change and evolution in our organization. For more than 30 years, we have played a leading role in bringing communities together to address the many threats to the Salish Sea. With a renewed strategic plan in hand, with a greater focus on building community power and collaboration, environmental justice and increasing the connection individuals in this region have to this ecologically and culturally important body of water, we are seeking a passionate and committed individual to join us on this journey.
Position: Data & Donor Services Assistant
Compensation: $41,500 – $44,000 for 30 hours per week, depending on experience
Location: working in either our Nanaimo or Vancouver office
Other benefits of working with Georgia Strait Alliance:
- Full time work environment built around a 4 day work week (34 hours)
- Work in a hybrid work environment that allows you to choose the work-from-home/in-office combination that best suits you and your work.
- Flexible work schedule beyond core organizational commitments
- Our vacation entitlement starts at 2 weeks, increasing to 3 weeks after 1 year, 4 weeks after 3 years and 5 weeks after 8 years
- Support your physical wellbeing, mental wellbeing, and care giving responsibilities by taking advantage of our 5 flexible personal days annually.
- We offer an extended health, vision and dental benefits package, which includes life insurance and long-term disability
- A completely free and confidential employee and family assistance program (EFAP) to assist with counseling, financial advice, nutrition, addiction, childcare arrangements and more
- Invest in your growth with $500 professional development support for training
Preferred start date: as soon as possible
About the position
GSA is hiring a Data & Donor Services Assistant who will provide support for both our fundraising and data systems as well as coordinating the daily activities of our office, including being the first point of contact for inquiries from the public and donors. The position is critical to the efficient functioning of the organization.
Responsibilities will include entering donations and grants into our Salesforce database and coordinating the thanking and acknowledgment of our individual donors and organizational funders, applying a donor/community-centered approach with personal communications as appropriate. The Data & Donor Services Assistant will also assist in donor cultivation, stewardship and retention activities as required. The position also includes keeping Salesforce up to date, including importing external data using and creating Salesforce reports, assisting with data preparation and segmentation to increase personalization, and includes monthly reconciliation of Salesforce donation records.
Fundraising responsibilities will include supporting GSA’s use of platforms such as peer-to-peer, and other fundraising tools and technologies with the potential to co-lead in online fundraising campaigns. The Assistant will also conduct research and qualify new funding sources, including foundations, individual donors, corporate partners etc. – using most suitable platform and research techniques.
Office management responsibilities include processing mail, depositing cheques, answering the phone and checking voicemail and organizational email, responding and/or referring to appropriate GSA staff member promptly. The Assistant will also provide administrative support for various digital platforms, such as our Box Cloud filing system and Slack.
This position works closely with all other team members, and reports to the Director of Development and the Data & Digital Systems Manager.
You will succeed in this role if you are adaptable and organized, have a customer-service attitude, are able to change focus when necessary while keeping in mind deadlines and key priorities. You are detail oriented, a systems thinker, like making systems work better, have spent time in administrative or support roles of any kind that relied on digital and cloud systems, and you enjoy working in a fundraising and administrative role. The work can be both challenging and rewarding, and rewards patience, good planning and flexibility. You thrive in environments where you work on your own, have autonomy and where initiative and new ideas are rewarded. This role has potential for growth and increased responsibility for someone with creativity in the fundraising or operations sphere.
Experience and Qualifications
We understand that not all experience looks the same, and encourage applicants to share how their experiences relate to the qualities below:
- Proficiency with Salesforce CRM database
- Comfort with and interest in learning more about digital systems and online platforms
- Enjoy working with donors and the public
- Comfort and discretion in dealing with private material
- Enjoy structure but adaptable and thrive in a changing environment
- Good at creating efficient systems that support a healthy and effective organization
It would also be helpful if you have any of the following skills, qualifications or equivalent experiences, though they are by no means required:
- Comfort in connecting and working with colleagues online, in an organization where you might be working on your own in an office on a regular basis
- Experience working in the non-profit sector
- Experience with payment platforms such as iATS or Stripe.
- Experience with spreadsheets with some knowledge of formatting and functions.
- Playing a support role in Human Resources systems, specifically using the Humi platform
- Research skills, including use of platforms such as iWave
- Previous experience in a fundraising capacity
Georgia Strait Alliance is strongly committed to equity, diversity, anti-racism, and to being a welcoming and inclusive workplace (see our JEDI commitment). Like many organizations, we have recognized and are learning the ways we have benefited from and perpetuated white supremacy culture and colonialism in our sector and our organization. We are committed to and are continuing our journey of learning and unlearning, transforming into a more just, equitable and inclusive organisation and bringing that lens to all of our work.
We encourage applications from Indigenous persons, members of racialized communities, women, persons with disabilities, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities to advance the mission of GSA. GSA strives to ensure that our online application system and recruitment process is accessible to individuals with different abilities, and accommodations are available if you need one. If at any point during the application and/or recruitment process you require an accommodation, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at email@example.com.
Location: Though most of the staff at GSA work from their home offices on the unceded territories of many Coast Salish Nations, the position will work from either of our office, with flexibility to work from home part of the time, therefore the successful candidate must have a consistently reliable means to get to the office. Our offices are located on the unceded territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh) people (known as Vancouver) and one on the territories of the Snuneymuxw people (known as Nanaimo).
About Georgia Strait Alliance
GSA is the only organization with a focus on the health of the marine environment of the entire region of the Strait of Georgia (the northern arm of the Salish Sea). Grounded in environmental justice, Georgia Strait Alliance mobilizes and supports collective action to protect the Salish Sea region. We do this by:
- Building and activating community power through relationship development and capacity building;
- Fostering systems transformation by advocating for community-led initiatives;
- Connecting people and place through engagement and awareness building; and,
- Strengthening organizational health and equity by creating a supportive and safe working environment
Our values of collaboration, caring, courage, accountability, and interconnectedness guide us as we work toward our vision, and the spirit of ‘alliances’ that our founders nurtured is still present within GSA and in the way we work to protect this region.
As a primarily white-led organization, we are committed to change, to recognizing our responsibility to challenge and address harmful patterns in our work, and create a more diverse and equitable organisation. We are committed to ensuring that our mission is one that is inclusive of all communities and people, and we look forward to the Data & Donor Services Assistant joining us on this ongoing journey and bringing their unique perspective to our team.
We are accepting applications until January 15th at 5 pm (Pacific). Please submit information about yourself, your lived experience or any information that is important for this application.
If you have any questions about the job posting, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job please visit georgiastraitalliance.applytojobs.ca.