Website Friends of the San Juans
Protects and restores the San Juan Islands and the Salish Sea
Position Title: Executive Administrator
Position Summary: Friends of the San Juans (Friends), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, is seeking an Executive Administrator to provide direct support for the Executive Director and assist the Executive Director in advancing donor relations and Board and Committee activities. The Executive Administrator has a passion for mission-driven results and the protection and restoration of the San Juan Islands and the Salish Sea for people and nature. The ideal candidate will exercise the highest degree of professionalism and care in diverse situations and have excellent written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills. The ability to balance multiple priorities and strategize the best work sequence each week is imperative. The Executive Administrator must be able to work under pressure at times, promoting healthy team dynamics with diplomacy, and handle a wide variety of activities, confidential matters, and donor conversations with discretion and poise.
Go to https://sanjuans.org/hiring/ for the full job description
Reports To: Executive Director. Supervision opportunities may include Assigned Volunteers for Strategic Initiatives, Program or Legal Interns, Events and Special Project Contractors.
Background: Friends of the San Juans is an innovative and effective force and catalyst for positive change, with expertise in shoreline and nearshore habitats, vessel traffic risks and oil spill prevention, land use, and climate change. Founded in 1979, Friends of the San Juans is a community-based organization founded to help preserve the beauty, character, and natural habitats of the San Juan Islands in the face of increasing development. To protect the islands’ most special places and guide growth, Friends spearheaded the County’s first Comprehensive Land-use Plan. Today, Friends envisions and strives for a healthy economy and environment, renewable energy, abundant resource lands, strong island culture, recreation, and good governance. Visit www.sanjuans.org.
- Executive Assistant and Special Projects, 50% of time
- Board Administration with attention to Board committees and processes, 25% of time
- Donor Relations as a member of the Giving Team, 25% of time
- Experience: Minimum 3 years of experience supporting Executives/management, Board relationships, and/or donor stewardship and event planning.
- Communication and Interpersonal skills: Excellent verbal and written communications and ability to strategize. Strong ability to take initiative, multi-task, be a team player and flexible, adapt to shifting priorities, and prioritize work with savvy in managing up.
- Organizational skills: Exceptional commitment to accuracy and attention to detail and ability to access a wide range of sources and networks for information, bringing keen analytical sense.
- Integrity and judgment: Committed personal and organizational ethics and ability to maintain confidentiality. Functions independently and with discretion. Familiarity in the social sector.
- Flexibility: Able to work in a fast-paced, highly productive environment, serve in multiple roles and comfortable with changes in priority and direction.
- Computer skills: Strong proficiency in Microsoft 365 applications and social media web platforms, plus customer relationship management systems. Friends of the San Juans uses SharePoint, Teams, PowerPoint, Neon One, and Mail Chimp.
Application Process: Please send a cover letter and resume (all in one pdf file) to email@example.com. This position is open until filled with a priority application deadline of Sunday, November 5th.
Work Type Classification – Hybrid: The office is located in Friday Harbor, San Juan Island. Office presence is required at least two days/week with allowance for remote work. On-site presence is required at key events and meetings across island communities, which could occur before or after normal working hours and/or on weekends. Schedule flexibility available, see personnel policy.
Friends of the San Juans is an employment-at-will organization.
Salary Range and Hours: $52,000-$68,000 (full-time or 0.75 employee) depending on experience.
Benefits: Benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance for the employee, reimbursement for air ambulance insurance, up to 5% of salary employer contributions to a retirement plan, a cell phone allowance, and flexibility in employee work schedules. Annual paid time off includes 14 holidays, three weeks’ vacation, and two weeks of medical leave.
Friends of the San Juans values diversity and recognizes its role in building a more inclusive culture which contributes to a healthy organization. Friends’ core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. After all, the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
To apply for this job please visit sanjuans.org.