Southern Nevada Programs Manager with Friends of Nevada Wilderness
Location: Las Vegas office with extensive travel throughout Clark County and some travel throughout and outside the state of Nevada
Supervisor: Southern Nevada Director
Employee Classification: Full-time and Exempt
Schedule: Flexible 40-hours per week with frequent weekend and evening work, with the ability to work from home as duties allow
Application Deadline: Application review process will begin on January 3, 2023
Who We Are
Friends of Nevada Wilderness is a statewide conservation non-profit founded in 1984. Friends’ mission is to protect all present and potential wilderness from ongoing threats, educate the public about the values of and need for wilderness, and improve the management and restoration of wild lands. We are knowledgeable, passionate, and joyful professionals who feel connected to the lands that we are dedicated to protecting. These are the core values that guide our work:
- Credible: We understand that our long-term success is built through trusting relationships and integrity. We are reliable community leaders who are committed to accuracy, honesty, and follow through in all that we do.
- Effective: We think outside the box to find areas of collaboration and compromise, and actively work towards reaching tangible, workable outcomes.
- People-oriented: We wholeheartedly believe that the outdoors is for all and are devoted to fostering safe spaces where everyone can thrive and express their true selves. We prioritize benefits and policies which ensure that our board, staff, members, and volunteers are well cared for and feel valued.
- Resilient: We use story-telling, record-keeping, and retention of long-term staff and board to cultivate a thorough understanding of Wild Nevada’s rich history and future trajectory. Through this collective understanding, we have learned that setbacks are inevitable, and that our work is never done.
Purpose of Position
The Southern Nevada Programs Manager will work closely with the Southern Nevada Director to support staff members and external relationships in southern Nevada, ensuring that programs run smoothly in the following ways:
- Provides guidance and support for southern Nevada staff members, helping to ensure they are trained, following safety protocols, and receiving the assistance they need to successfully meet deliverables.
- Represents the organization in partnerships and working relationships with government agencies, businesses, donors, and community organizations.
- Member of the Communications Team to ensure coverage of all southern Nevada programs; may create content, review copy and photos for accuracy and additional complimentary tie-ins.
- Assists Southern Nevada Director to maintain certain grants, including application, budgeting, and reporting, ensuring deliverables are met, and pinpointing potential funding sources.
- Leads and supports volunteer projects and monitoring trips in southern Nevada’s backcountry, with safety and care of volunteers the top priority, including pre- and post-trip logistics, packing, unloading and cleaning, and volunteer data entry and reporting.
- Facilitates connections between individual staff and key points of contact, such as longtime members, donors, and partners.
- Ensures deliverable trackers and calendars that contain volunteer, event, and training data are kept up-to-date and accessible, and reflected in organizational databases.
- Assists with the southern Nevada AmeriCorps and seasonal hiring process to ensure each program is recruiting applicants in a timely and broad manner and that Job Ads are reviewed and updated as necessary. Acts as support for candidate review, interviews, and hiring paperwork and training.
- Assists on volunteer appreciation events, fundraising gatherings, the Wild & Scenic Film Festival, and Wilderness Act anniversary celebrations.
Skills and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills, team-oriented approach, and ability to work with people from different backgrounds and experiences.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, comfortable and effective with public speaking.
- Intermediate computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite. Database experience highly beneficial.
- Ability to hike for up to ten hours with a 25-pound backpack and ability to sit for up to four hours at a time. Must have personal hiking and camping equipment and be comfortable and be self-sufficient in the backcountry whether with a group or alone.
Experience and Education
- At least four years in a supervisory position (can include volunteer supervision) – must be comfortable supervising, delegating, and giving performance feedback in a formal and informal setting.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Valid driver’s license and a good driving record required.
Compensation: $53,250 to $58,500, plus generous benefits package including 100% company-paid health/vision/dental premiums and long-term disability premiums, IRA match, and paid time off package including 14 annual Holidays, 12 accrued Vacation Days, and 12 accrued Sick and Wellness Days.
To Apply: Email your cover letter, resume, and three professional references with the subject line ‘Southern Nevada Programs Manager’ to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. References will be called after interviews as part of final candidate screening.
Depending on your experience, a different title and adjusted salary are possible. In your cover letter, please indicate your level of experience. We are committed to finding an excellent candidate for this position.
Employer of National Service
We support service to community, with national and international impact, and the ability to make a difference. As an Employer of National Service, we encourage former AmeriCorps and Peace Corps service volunteers to apply with us.
Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
Friends of Nevada Wilderness is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to being a place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, to stay, and to do their best work. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com