FarmSTAND Staff Attorney
Reports to: Senior Attorney Start date: ASAP
Location: Remote / Washington, DC Salary: starting at $81,000
FarmSTAND is the only legal project in the country dedicated solely to taking on industrial animal agriculture. We’re focused on dismantling the structures that enable the consolidation of corporate power and extractive practices in our food system and we support a vision of animal agriculture that is regenerative, humane, and owned by independent farmers. We believe we cannot make change alone, and that we must align ourselves with allies across movement sectors. In these partnerships, we combine litigation with base building and storytelling to create meaningful change.
About the position
The FarmSTAND Staff Attorney will work to support the litigation and advocacy developed by FarmSTAND Senior Attorneys and the Managing Director of Litigation, and, depending on experience, will also lead development and litigation of precedent-setting and/or socially significant public interest cases that are aligned with our theory of change and strategic plan. The Staff Attorney will work with clients, allies, and impacted community organizations to implement FarmSTAND’s movement-oriented litigation through multi-tactical campaigns and through coalitions and collaborative networks. FarmSTAND Staff Attorneys also engage in public speaking and outreach, including related to the FarmSTAND Attorney Network and Law School Pipeline Project.
- Support Senior Attorneys and the Managing Director of Litigation throughout the initial investigation, strategic development, and litigation of potentially complex cases that further the organization’s strategic plan and annual goals.
- As appropriate based on experience, serve as lead counsel or co-counsel engaging in the full range of litigation tasks, including case investigations, research and development, discovery, briefing, oral argument, appeals, and/or amicus briefs.
- Support the implementation of integrated advocacy initiatives, campaigns, and strategies that combine litigation with other tools.
- Actively engage in outreach and participate in coalitions, collaborative networks, conferences, seminars, law school events and the like to build relationships and support allies and movement-building activities.
- Support or engage in legislative and regulatory activities to defend victories, oppose offensive legislation, or advance positive policy change connected with FarmSTAND’s litigation activities.
- Review, respond to, and track intakes and requests for information on cases, amicus briefs, special projects, and other topics.
- Draft and assist in production of and updates to materials and publications on litigation, advocacy, and educational information for impacted communities and attorneys.
- Support organizing and communications team to obtain publicity on assigned cases, advocacy, and other projects, including press releases, press conferences, and other news vehicles.
- Oversee fellows, law clerks, and paralegals on assigned tasks, and engage in recruitment efforts as necessary and appropriate.
- Other advocacy work to further FarmSTAND’s priorities.
- Admission to a State Bar and willingness and ability to be admitted to the DC bar.
- Preference given to applicants with at least two years of litigation experience. For the purposes of determining litigation experience, we will include clerkships and fellowships.
- Excellent analytical, legal research, and writing skills.
- Excellent communication and public speaking skills.
- Self-motivation and proven ability to work as part of a team.
- Strong work ethic, initiative, and sound, yet creative judgment.
- Willingness to travel extensively, meaning as much as once to twice a month for more than half of the year.
- Sensitivity to the needs and concerns of and the ability to work with individuals and groups from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- A strong desire to build a movement to achieve a more just food system.
- Willingness to contribute to the creation of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work community that encourages collaboration.
Work structure: This is a full-time, exempt position, with a salary range starting at $81,000. Salary offer will be dependent on years of experience.
Benefits: We provide 17 days of paid vacation, 8 days of sick leave, all federal holidays, additional FarmSTAND holidays, employer-paid health, dental and vision insurance, and a 401(k) plan.
To Apply: Interested candidates should submit a:
- Cover letter that conveys why you are drawn to FarmSTAND’s mission and the objectives of this position and how your experience fits with those objectives.
- Law school transcript (official or unofficial).
- Contact information for three references.
- Writing sample, preferably a legal brief or memorandum that is either unedited or only lightly edited by someone other than you. Please include a cover sheet explaining the extent of editing by someone else.
- Your application should consist of two electronic files: (1) your cover letter, resume, transcript, and references in a single .pdf file; and (2) a writing sample in another .pdf file. Applicants are encouraged to submit their materials by January 16, 2024, at which point applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please submit both files to jobs@farmSTAND.org with “Staff Attorney” in the subject line. FarmSTAND is an equal opportunity employer and values a diverse and progressive workplace. People of color, LGBTQ applicants, people with disabilities, and veterans are all strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com