Website Climate One
ABOUT CLIMATE ONE
Climate One is the premier platform to deepen our understanding of the most critical issue of our time: the climate emergency. Through a weekly podcast, national radio show, and live convenings for thought leaders and concerned members of the public, Climate One creates opportunities for dialogue and inspires a more complete understanding of the current crisis.
Founded in 2007 as a live program based at The Commonwealth Club of California, a non-profit and non-partisan public forum, Climate One has evolved into a multi-platform thought leader reaching 170,000 listeners every week. In response to the pandemic, Climate One pivoted entirely to digital programming, initiating new creative approaches, extending national and international coverage, and growing online audiences. To maximize the unique opportunities inherent in this remarkable time, Climate One expanded its editorial staff and is now poised to enhance the management, marketing and fundraising team to continue building the platform’s impact.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Climate One seeks a strategic, creative, and collaborative communications professional to help create, plan and implement our communications, marketing, and brand strategy. The Communications Manager will serve as a key partner to the Managing Director, and will work in collaboration with the Development Manager to grow Climate One’s audience and impact.
This is a full-time, exempt position based in San Francisco, with occasional time in the office required for in-person meetings and evening events.
Weekly podcast promotion
- Create and publish content on Climate One’s social media accounts (Twitter, LinkedIn) designed to promote each week’s episode
- Produce weekly email newsletter
- Liaise with episode guests, radio marketing consultant to support their promotion efforts
- Manage other marketing efforts to achieve event ticket sales and podcast download targets
Organization communications, marketing, and media relations
- In partnership with Managing Director, develop and implement a strategic communications and marketing plan to build Climate One’s brand visibility, support audience growth, and deepen community engagement
- Manage communications and marketing strategy implementation for Climate One’s website, email marketing, and social media
- Plan and implement advertising campaigns to grow podcast listenership
- Review and respond to audience feedback and media inquires addressed to Executive Producer
- Manage production of Climate One’s annual report
- Draft internal and external statements for Executive Producer
- Serve as primary liaison to outside communications and creative service vendors, including marketing, printing, graphic design consultants and web developers
- Support collaborative communications efforts with Commonwealth Club staff
Metrics and analytics
- Develop and monitor audience growth and engagement metrics dashboard
- Track and report key metrics and milestones on a regular basis
- Support with set up, greeting, refreshments, and other tasks during Climate One’s live recording programs and donor events
- Socialize with event attendees during receptions, introduce people to each other, and foster social connections in the climate community
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in communications and marketing, preferably at a climate-focused organization
- Strong writing skills and demonstrated talent in conveying energy, environment, sustainability, and climate justice issues in language relevant to experts and accessible to non-experts
- Demonstrated project management skills, including the ability to prioritize tasks and follow through to completion
- Demonstrated experience in strategic use of digital media, including Twitter, LinkedIn, email newsletters, websites, and online advertising
- Proficiency in graphic design skills and related software including Canva and Adobe Creative Suite, among others
- Proficiency in digital productivity and collaboration tools including Microsoft Office Suite, Google Workspace, Google Analytics, Drupal, Emma (or comparable email marketing platform)
- Ability to work effectively independently with limited direction, as well as with others as part of a team
- Ability to to interact in an effective and professional manner with staff, media, podcast listeners, Club guests, and the public
- Experience with PR and media outreach
- Experience in event design and implementation
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION
This is a full-time exempt position with a salary range of $75,000 to $85,000. The Commonwealth Club of California offers health, dental and vision coverage as well as life and AD&D insurance for employees, with a 4% employer match of the 401(K) plan. Other benefits include a generous holiday and time off policy, and membership to the YMCA of San Francisco.
PROCESS AND TIMELINE
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Communications Manager – [your name]” and include your name in any attachments. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The position will be open until filled.
Candidates who meet qualifications will go through an initial phone screen. Those selected to advance will be asked to complete a short written assignment and will be invited to a one-hour virtual interview with the hiring committee. Finalists will be asked to meet in person with Climate One and other relevant personnel at the Commonwealth Club office in San Francisco.
Inclusion and respect are core values of Climate One from The Commonwealth Club. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, with a small team that enjoys working together and is treated fairly. We welcome applications from individuals of color, LGBTQ, women, transgender and gender non-conforming people.
To apply for this job please visit www.climateone.org.