Website Citizens for a Better Flathead
Working to keep the Flathead Valley special forever since 1992
DIRECTOR OF PLANNING AND POLICY
Interview Process Opens May 9th: Position Open till filled ~ FT with benefits
Location: Kalispell, MT
Anticipated Start Date: Late May-July 2022
Our Mission is to foster citizen participation and champion sustainable solutions needed to keep the Flathead ecologically and economically healthy. Are you a land use planner eager for an opportunity to help residents shape how the spectacular Flathead Valley grows? Are you ready to help lead a small but dynamic organization and leadership team with a 30-year legacy of successful grassroots advocacy? Are you looking for a position where you can invest your talents and make a positive difference in the place and community you call home—let’s talk.
Since 1992 Citizens for a Better Flathead (CBF) has been at the forefront of addressing the challenges that rapid growth brings this extraordinary valley in Northwest Montana, which is now home to 104,000 residents, a nearly 15% increase over the past decade. Flathead County, where our work is focused, lies between Glacier National Park and Flathead Lake, the largest natural freshwater lake west of the Mississippi. Approximately 94% of the land in Flathead County is National or State Forest Land, Wilderness, Agricultural, and Corporate Timber Land, thus largely confining development to the remaining 6% of the area.
Citizens for a Better Flathead works to alert and inform the public of opportunities to be actively involved in critical decisions shaping how the Flathead grows. Our work focuses on influencing policies that shape land use planning, the protection of water quality, climate-friendly transportation planning, and waste reduction and recycling. CBF advocates for solutions that respect the well-being of the whole community, the environment, and future generations. We provide critical analysis and research to inform the public and decision-makers and network broadly to achieve our goals.
The Director of Planning and Policy for Citizens for a Better Flathead (CBF) has thorough knowledge and experience implementing the principles and practices associated with land-use planning. CBF offers a collaborative, team-oriented workplace. You will have the unique opportunity to craft and collaborate on creative planning solutions for this area with residents and community leaders, and to enjoy the satisfaction and successes of working daily to keep the Flathead an incredible special place. The Director of Planning and Policy is a full time, professional staff person who is accountable to the Board of Directors and has the responsibility to provide executive oversight with the CBF Board for all aspects of CBF’s operations. As the primary face of the organization, the Director of Planning and Policy must be able to effectively articulate and inspire engagement in CBF’s mission and the challenges that rapid growth is bringing to this region.
PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT AND MANAGEMENT 60%
- Research, analyze, and develop CBF’s positions on planning and policy decisions shaping the Flathead’s future. Provide information, testimony, and represent the organization at public hearings and committee meetings.
- Encourage active and informed public participation in local government through outreach to the public on our research and policy positions.
- Reach out to and collaborate with local government officials, agencies, organizations, and community members in keeping with CBF’s mission.
- Coordinate strategic planning efforts and ongoing assessment of the CBF’s program priorities.
- Monitor the organization’s performance through incorporation of benchmarks, developed in cooperation with Board and staff, to assess organization, program, and staff effectiveness
ADMINISTRATION AND FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT 25%
- Attend all regular monthly and, as requested, any special Board meetings. Prepare reports for board meetings including program and policy issue updates and workplans.
- Establish and maintain effective communication with the Board and staff. Work closely with Board committees as requested.
- Maintain an accurate and detailed record of time/work projects
- Work with Board to develop annual budget and work with the Finance Committee to assess and report to the Board monthly on the organization’s financial status in relation to budget.
- Lead grant writing efforts of the organization and participate in major donor cultivation.
OUTREACH 10% ~ STAFF MANAGEMENT 5%
- Assume primary responsibility as spokesperson for the organization; Work with staff and board to develop clear messages.
- Oversee preparation of print and social media outreach in collaboration with staff.
- Lead, inspire, manage, and encourage staff, interns, and volunteers, in daily work and long-term projects. Conduct staff evaluations and identify training opportunities for skill development.
- A Bachelor’s degree in planning or a related field and two to four (2-4) years of experience in a professional planning position.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Highly motivated, a self-starter, and able to effectively manage multiple demands/deadlines.
- Experience in fundraising, nonprofit administration.
- Demonstrated achievement in creating and managing innovative and distinctive programs.
- Confident, positive, comfortable in public arena. Has an understanding and passion for the mission and goals of CBF.
- Operates well in a team environment. Experience networking and collaborating.
- Proficiency in basic computer usage and email communications. Programs we use include: Microsoft Office, WordPress, QuickBooks, Adobe Creative Suite, and database programs.
- Ability to work evenings, usually no more than once a week, to represent CBF at hearings, and occasional weekend events.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Full-time starting salary of $48,000-$55,000 depending upon experience.
- Additional employee health benefit package, ten (10) paid holidays, fifteen (15) vacation days per year for full-time employees, and sick leave.
- This is an Executive position whose duties and responsibilities allow them to be exempt from overtime pay provisions as provided by the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and any applicable state laws.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: To apply for the position, please submit the following:
- List of at least three professional references
- Letter of interest describing how your skills and experience address the job description
MATERIALS SHOULD BE SUBMITTED TO: email@example.com The position is open until filled. Interviews open May 9th. Any necessary questions regarding applications should be addressed to the above email address. No phone calls, please.
To apply for this job email your details to Citizens@Flatheadcitizens.org